Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 13th, 2022 #1
ulsterpatriot

Default Hitler’s Table Talk?

Opinions as to whether or not it’s worth buying?

There are also queries as to both its accuracy/authenticity.

Feedback welcome.

Old April 13th, 2022 #2
Johan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterpatriot View Post
Opinions as to whether or not it’s worth buying?

There are also queries as to both its accuracy/authenticity.

Feedback welcome.
You don't have to buy it to read it, it's free to read on archive (a whole list is available, I'll add some links here).

https://ia601304.us.archive.org/34/i...sations%29.pdf

https://archive.org/stream/HitlerTab...eTalk_djvu.txt

https://archive.org/details/hitlerstabletalk0000hitl

Quote:
1988 Oxford University Press translation

The UK's Oxford University Press published a paperback edition in 1988[1] in which they state that "the text used for this edition of Hitler's Table-Talk is the text of the original Bormann-Vermerke preserved by Martin Bormann and now in the possession of a Swiss Citizen, M.Francois Genod. Dr.Henry Picker, the official who deputised for Heim as court-reporter from March to July 1942, has also published a selection from Hitler's Table-Talk under the title Hitler's Tischgesprache[2] Dr. Picker's text, which is arranged not chronologically but according to subject-matter, is based on copies of his own notes and certain other notes which he had acquired, on succeeding him, from Heim. Dr. Picker's text comprises altogether slightly over one-half of the matter contained in the Bormann-Vermerke which the OUP has translated in full, i.e., 400 pages of German as compared with 722 pages of English. It includes a few conversations not preserved by Bormann. The reason for his exclusion of these documents from his final record is not apparent." This OUP publication also carries a facsimile of Martin Bormann's Directive and covering note for the Minutes in which he says: "Please keep these notes most carefully, as they will be of very great value in the future. I have now got Heim to make comprehensive notes as a basis for these Minutes. Any transcript which is not apposite will be re-checked by me."

Holocaust revisionism

See Alleged statements by Hitler on the Holocaust‎: Hitler's Table Talk.

https://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Hitler%27s_Table_Talk
Genoud, Heim & Picker’s “Table Talk”: A Study in Academic Fraud & Scandal

Quote:
Hitler’s Table Talk is a worthless primary source. There, I said it. And I’m not just saying this to evoke a reaction. I’m saying it because I really mean it. The renowned “Hitler expert” Lord Dacre, better known as Hugh Trevor-Roper, knowingly and willingly engaged in a massive cover-up regarding Hitler’s Table Talk (hereafter TT).[1] Had it not been for the outstanding research at the low cost of just $50 taken up by historian Richard Carrier,[2] we might still be in the dark about this, 64 years after TT’s first appearance in the English language. Sorry to bust this bubble, Hitler and Third Reich enthusiasts, but TT is worthless. In this article, I will establish three things: 1) that Hugh Trevor-Roper knowingly and willingly engaged in academic fraud for profit and prestige, 2) that TT is a worthless primary source, and 3) that renowned Hitler “experts”, both revisionist and mainstream, have failed the public regarding reliable Hitler primary sources.

https://codoh.com/library/document/g...a-study-in/en/

Old June 7th, 2022 #3
Farwell Kirk

Didn't David Irving vouch for their authenticity ?

Old June 8th, 2022 #4
alex revision

Genoud, Heim & Picker’s “Table Talk”: A Study in Academic Fraud & Scandal

Veronica Clark

Hitler’s Table Talk is a worthless primary source. There, I said it. And I’m not just saying this to evoke a reaction. I’m saying it because I really mean it. The renowned “Hitler expert” Lord Dacre, better known as Hugh Trevor-Roper, knowingly and willingly engaged in a massive cover-up regarding Hitler’s Table Talk (hereafter TT).[1] Had it not been for the outstanding research at the low cost of just $50 taken up by historian Richard Carrier,[2] we might still be in the dark about this, 64 years after TT’s first appearance in the English language. Sorry to bust this bubble, Hitler and Third Reich enthusiasts, but TT is worthless. In this article, I will establish three things: 1) that Hugh Trevor-Roper knowingly and willingly engaged in academic fraud for profit and prestige, 2) that TT is a worthless primary source, and 3) that renowned Hitler “experts”, both revisionist and mainstream, have failed the public regarding reliable Hitler primary sources.

https://www.inconvenienthistory.com/9/3/4880

Old June 8th, 2022 #5
Robbie Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farwell Kirk View Post
Didn't David Irving vouch for their authenticity ?
Yes, he did, atleast back in 2004:

Quote:
Hitler's Table Talk is the product of his lunch- and supper-time conversations in his private circle from 1941 to 1944. The transcripts are genuine. (Ignore the 1945 "transcripts" published by Trevor-Roper in the 1950s as Hitler's Last Testament -- they are fake).

The table talk notes were originally taken by Heinrich Heim, the adjutant of Martin Bormann, who attended these meals at an adjacent table and took notes. (Later Henry Picker took over the job). Afterwards Heim immediately typed up these records, which Bormann signed as accurate.

François Genoud purchased the files of transcripts from Bormann's widow just after the war, along with the handwritten letters which she and the Reichsleiter had exchanged.

For forty thousand pounds -- paid half to Genoud and half to Hitler's sister Paula -- George Weidenfeld, an Austrian Jewish publisher who had emigrated to London, bought the rights and issued an English translation in about 1949.

For forty years or more no German original was published, as Genoud told me that he feared losing the copyright control that he exercised on them. I have seen the original pages, and they are signed by Bormann.

They were expertly, and literately, translated by Norman Cameron and R.H. Stevens, though with a few (a very few) odd interpolations of short sentences which don't exist in the original -- the translator evidently felt justified in such insertions, to make the context plain.

Translation is a difficult chore: I have translated four books, including Nikki Lauda's memoirs -- one can either produce a clinical, wooden, illiterate version, like Richard "Skunky" Evans' courtroom translations of Third Reich documents, or one can produce a readable, publishable text which properly conveys the sense and language of the original.

Try translating for publication the Joseph Goebbels diaries -- written often in a Berlinese vernacular -- without running into trouble with the courts! Louis Lochner succeeded in my view magnificently.

Weidenfeld's translator also took liberties with translating words like Schrecken, (see facsimile above), which he translated as "rumour" in the sense of "scare-story". In my own view such translations are acceptable, but they caused a lot of difficulty at the Lipstadt Trial where I found myself accused of manipulating texts and distorting translations (because although I relied on the Weidenfeld translation, I had had access to the original document, and should have known that the actual word was Schrecken).

The Table Talks' content is more important in my view than Hitler's Mein Kampf, and possibly even more than his Zweites Buch (1928). It is unadulterated Hitler. He expatiates on virtually every subject under the sun, while his generals and private staff sit patiently and listen, or pretend to listen, to the monologues.

Along with Sir Nevile Henderson's gripping 1940 book Failure of a Mission, this was one of the first books that I read, as a twelve year old: Table Talk makes for excellent bedtime reading, as each "meal" occupies only two or three pages of print. My original copy, purloined from my twin brother Nicholas, was seized along with the rest of my research library in May 2002.

I have since managed to find a replacement, and I am glad to say that -- notwithstanding the perverse judgment of Mr. Justice Gray -- Hitler's Table Talk has recently come back into print, unchanged: Schrecken and all.
http://www.fpp.co.uk/Letters/Hitler/...alk010104.html

Last edited by Robbie Key; June 8th, 2022 at 05:52 PM.

Thread