Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 8th, 2010 #1
Dan Allan

Default South Jersey

Article I just found. This movement, if you can call it that, is pretty much stone cold dead. It reached its peak about 30 years ago and became more of a footnote in history. I found this article interesting for a number of reasons. I've lived in this area (Southern NJ) most of my life and always noted the contrasts to the northern especially northeastern, part of the state. South Jersey is by no means a White haven, but it has significantly fewer nonwhites, both in terms of sheer numbers and percentage, than the Northern part of the state. It's also still quite segregated here. Even with Camden, one of the worst multicultural monsters ever created by Jewish social policies, there are many >90% White towns, and ethnic enclaves of Irish, Italians and Poles. And many of them want to keep it that way. I can tell you that this movement was about more than just refineries along the Turnpike, or which football team you're rooting for. Looks like it may have been a kosher front movement, however:

Quote:
The New Jersey Secession Movement?
Matt Rooney | April 18, 2009

Talk of "secession" is in the news these days. Americans tend to think of it as a uniquely Southern practice, but New Jerseyans always like to mix it up and keep things interesting. We actually had our own secession debate... back in 1980!

New Jersey was a "copperhead" stronghold during the Civil War, but N.J. always stayed loyal to the Union. Over a century later, a group of South Jerseyans organized and attempted to secede from North Jersey. The referendum, which had nothing to do with slavery but everything to do with anti-North Jersey sentiments, passed by a narrow margin:

"It had all the trappings of a genuine insurgence: bumper stickers, petition drives, angry partisans, and a steering group, “The Committee to Free South Jersey,” whose rhetoric made it sound as if it were working to free some political prisoner from a repressive regime—which, to the true believers, was exactly what it was doing. South Jerseyans had been oppressed for generations, and they wanted to throw off their shackles. “We’re very serious now,” a leader of the committee, Joel Jacovitz, said back in 1980. “We can secede. It’s possible.”

In the end, it really wasn’t. But they certainly tried. On Election Day in 1980, 51 percent of voters in six South Jersey counties declared in a non-binding referendum that they wanted to secede and establish a new state, one that would be populated by friendlier, quieter people who wore Eagles green instead of Giants blue and who winced when people associated their home state with the refinery stench of the Turnpike."

Learn more about this wild episode in state history by clicking here. The article is a little slanted towards the South, but surprisingly there's not too many resources out there about the 1980 uprising.
http://blog.savejersey.com/2009/04/1...-movement.aspx

Thread